Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pitrace (Beaver Run) 

Any new rumors regarding the track addition at PitRace? Been pretty quiet since spring. They did a fantastic job over last winter on the improvements.

Marty

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:39 pm
Site Admin

We got to see a bit of it while there for the PVGP race weekend. The trees were all cleared at that time, and they had begun grating and leveling. I don't know that they've put down any fill or pavement yet for the extension, though during the course of that race weekend they put down another few hundred square foot of asphalt in the paddock.

But there's *definitely* progress. If you're on Facebook, you see a video Pitt Race posted this past July, the link is here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=438084206289035

I imagine they've gotten a lot more work done in the interim. The new owners are really great people, as well as racers, and have made some really outstanding improvements and additions to the facility.

http://www.vrgonline.org

Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

I just watched the Facebook video and am a bit confused. Is this an entirely new track or does it connect to the old one. When there in July, I looked at the beginnings of this and thought it was to connect to the old track at about turn 2 or 3. The track digram in the top right of the video didn't help.
Pete

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:52 pm
Site Admin

PeterCarroll55Sprite wrote:
I just watched the Facebook video and am a bit confused. Is this an entirely new track or does it connect to the old one. When there in July, I looked at the beginnings of this and thought it was to connect to the old track at about turn 2 or 3. The track digram in the top right of the video didn't help.
Pete

Pete,

This aerial photo should help -

The little escape roads at 2 and 4 are where the addition connects to the existing course. It's both an extension, and an entirely new track - as I believe it is capable of being run independently of the north track.

As this image details -

(I'm working on making it so that pictures linked into threads aren't gigantic)

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile WWW

Jim and Kathy Stout are hard on it and I would expect substantial progress this year. It'll be neat to have the addition of the long-awaited South Track to the existing circuit, although the North Track is pretty darned good!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:16 pm
Profile WWW

While making a longer track is welcomed, I can't get my head around the concept of turning left after the bridge at Bridgehampton. The sequence of downhill rights after the pit exit always reminded me of Turn 1 at the Bridge, and if the South Track is integrated to make one long course, that sequence won't be used.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm not really expecting the new section to be completed for the 2014 season ... 2015 is a better bet. But for the benefit of others reading this thread who may not have been to PittRace yet, the existing track is very good! It is my favorite "mile and a half" track (others of this length are Lime Rock, NHMS, and Pocono North). PittRace's elongated layout means that the front and back straights are of decent length. There are some interesting mid-turn elevation changes, and some really nice linked turns (like the 1-2-3-4 complex) making this a real driver's track. I know it sounds trite but the track just flows, it has a rhythm, when driven well you can maintain great momentum all the way around (well OK, the last uphill 180 is a bit of a killer) ... it just doesn't feel like a "short track".

It will be interesting to see how the new section feels when it is complete, there is a LOT of elevation there. I wouldn't be surprised if, after a couple years, some clubs decide to run the "Long Track" for one day and the "Short Track" for the other day of their event.

Mark Palmer

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm
Site Moderator

I can agree with Mark. Pitt-Race is also my favorite 1.5 mile track. It has a great flow and rhythm and good elevation change. It is also good for spectators who can see most of the track from the paddock garage area on the top of the hill. I hope that the new section doesn't break that rhythm. The new pavement in the paddock has been a big improvement, too.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 am

I have not seen any feedback about the new PittRace yet. The PVGP was there earlier this month. IMHO, wow is that new track fun! I was kind of stumbling around through Saturday but Sunday everything kind of clicked. What a blast that new section was! Thanks Keith for another wonderful event. I could have done without that turn 17 issue but I'll have the car back together for next year and this track is a must do for us.

Marty

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:04 pm
Site Admin

Marty,

I too thoroughly enjoyed it - we spoke after chasing each other for a bit, I'm in the silver/black Mini.
The extension is excellent, and once there's some curbing and fixed reference points, it will get even better - and hopefully I'll get a bit quicker!

Sorry to hear about the bump you had, but really glad to hear you're looking forward to a return next year!

Cheers,
Ian

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next