Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mike's 1964 Elva Courier MkIV Build Thread! 

Got some pictures of the number plate today! Unfortunately, the time outside took its toll on the paint. Does anyone have a good method of restoring the plate? It was tough to get a clear shot because the car has been basically pushed into a dark corner until the weather improves, but here you go:

It's tough to see, but the serial number is indeed 1187 and the engine number is RS22145.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:19 pm
Site Admin

Hmm. Looks like the lettering and detail are raised? If so, I would take a crack at first stripping the old paint, then spraying the whole thing with new paint, and very carefully placing it face down on some fine grit sand paper, perhaps on a piece of glass or other extremely flat surface, and gently sanding off to expose the lettering. That would also assume the plate is flat to begin with.

The detail is way too fine to spread Vaseline on the lettering and wipe off the paint...

Otherwise, you're looking a one *heck* of a stencil. :shock: This is a good question, so I'm curious to see what others have to say!

http://www.vrgonline.org

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

Another slightly important detail to mention regarding the serial number:

According to the build info for serial number E1187, my car should have independent rear suspension! Only downside is it's the setup from a TVR Griffith :( Not sure how or even if I could find something like that, but if anyone has any leads it would be much appreciated!

All I've read about the setup so far is that it uses unequal length wishbones and a "Salisbury independent differential." I've never read much about TVRs so it's all new to me! :)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm
Site Admin

Interesting...that's what the Coupe we have in the shop is equipped with. Kevin just dropped off the diff last week.

I can get some pictures in a a few days, but the rear is apart at the moment. And it looks like the Elva guys rubbed any part numbers and the TVR casting mark off the diff.

MikeClifford2 wrote:
Another slightly important detail to mention regarding the serial number:

According to the build info for serial number E1187, my car should have independent rear suspension! Only downside is it's the setup from a TVR Griffith :( Not sure how or even if I could find something like that, but if anyone has any leads it would be much appreciated!

All I've read about the setup so far is that it uses unequal length wishbones and a "Salisbury independent differential." I've never read much about TVRs so it's all new to me! :)

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37 am
Profile WWW

After looking at our options, our materials, and potential labor, we've come to the conclusion that keeping the rear suspension setup we have is the most intelligent route for me. I'm okay with that, though; never bothers me in the Cortina!

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:47 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, we're sort of in the same boat. Moving away from IRS would probably be for the better handling wise, but we don't really have the parts or obviously the rear frame to accommodate anything else. We'll get to see on track which does better!

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

In stead of a Salisbury, why not just a welded rear diff? Like a TR6 or something similar. I have a TVR 2500M with that exact setup and it's a ball to drive. It'll be a lot easier on the budget and a lot more options on ratios. We put a Dana Corvette rear end in the TVR and it's fantastic. Maintaining an independent rear makes more sense to me than converting it to solid axle (if that's what you're referring to). Cheers and nice to see the project unfold

Chris

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for the reply, Chris. One of the larger factors in keeping the live axle is the fact that the chassis is set up for one, and the complete rear end with coilovers is there. Hard to argue with stuff I have handy.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Mike,
To see how the Elva will look in blue, go to the Race-car sales site and look into the archives. There is a medium blue courier there
that I looked into a few years back.
Chuck

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 am

Post-Sebring update!

We've been gone to the races for a few weeks now, and when we returned I was surprised with some pretty exciting progress on the chassis!

A new setup to replace the destroyed front section of the frame:

Complete with the Spitfire suspension towers, which just need to be perfectly aligned and attached:

A great-looking new rocker panel to replace the old bent/warped one:

A new steel floor, both for a bit of added stiffness and some extra protection:

And a good amount of work un-twisting the chassis, which is almost straight again. You can see where the frame was cut at a damaged weld near the trans mount to allow the chassis to get happy before re-welding:

One interesting detail was the...odd angles the rear shock mounts currently have:

I think I'll also be either cutting the bottom halves of those huge trailing arm brackets off or just making new, proper mounts to replace them.

Some of the next things to do are bring a dummy engine block/transmission over to start figuring out mount locations and disassembling the rear end to replace any seals/gaskets and check the condition of the hubs, hub bearings, and diff internals. Pretty exciting stuff! :D

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next