Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Crossing the border 

Thank you Mark, good first hand information.

I do now have the answer to “is it a hassle to cross the border” Absolutely not! What I have taken away from the forum contributors is be prepared with the a list and any other information what might be requested. But expect to cross without issues. A lot of good advice that I will print it out and add it to my pre-trip list. Looking forward to my trip to Mosport this summer.

Thank you all

Kurt

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Made this a sticky, so it can't go anywhere. Good information for others to refer to, thanks for asking Kurt, and thanks to everyone who chimed in!

http://www.vrgonline.org

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:47 pm
Profile WWW

I have towed a race car to Canada almost every year for the past 10 years. Only one time was I asked to open the trailer and that was only so the agent could see the car, not to verify any contents or registration info. On one other occasion I was delayed because the agent wanted to talk about my DP Miata since he also owned a Miata.

You do need a passport or the Passport card which is only good for Canada, Mexico and some of the islands. When you approach the immigration booth, going into Canada or returning to the U.S., take off you cap and sun glasses as you approach. Know the license plate number of the tow vehicle, shut down the engine, and be friendly. Goes a long way to speeding the clearance.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:40 pm
Site Moderator

Good point Lee. I have been asked the plate # on my motorhome more than once.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I went to Mosport for the first time last June and had no problems at the border, besides moving a trailer through the frenzy at the gates. They asked me the standard questions, checked passports, asked what was in trailer, and waved us on, both going and coming back.

This was my first season, I went to 6 different tracks, and Mosport was by far my favorite. Excellent track and beautiful facilities. Turn two is incredible. This years event should be really good.

Bring your own gas, it's expensive to buy up there.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 am

Update on our border crossing:

For the most part it was smooth sailing. Crossing into Canada the officers did want to take a look through the back of the truck. I should mention that I use a commercial 16' box truck to transport the racer, no trailer. I’m sure it raised a few eyebrows to “what’s in the back of that truck again?”. I did turn off the engine(diesel). The whole stop didn’t take more than 15 minutes.
On the return to the US, the officer only wanted to see the car in the back of the truck. That was about a 3 minute stop.
I spent 2 days on making lists and documenting the whole trip. After all that, they only wanted to see the passports. But it was well worth it, Mosport is fast and challenging. Can’t wait to go back next year.

Kurt

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

I know it is an old thread but I thought I'd give it an update after our trip to MoSport last month. The VARAC website does provide some info about crossing the border with a race car. I prepared some paperwork to have ready (copies of registrations, title for race car, inventory of race items, Rx medicine lists, etc) and needed only our passports.

Entering Canada the conversation went like this:
"Where are you headed?"
"Canadian Tire Motorsports Park."
"Did you bring any guns?"
"I don't own any guns."
"Did you leave them all at home?"
"I don't own any guns."
"Do you keep them in a safe?"
"I don't own any guns."
"You are from North Carolina and you don't own any guns?"
"I don't own any guns."
"Welcome to Canada."

Entry back into the US was just as easy. The agent asked for the trailer registration. She said it was easier than having to walk all the way back to see the license plate.

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2