Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Mitty 

Just got back from HSRs "The Mitty" at Road Atlanta. Came back with a couple of conclusions: 1) Road Atlanta is a great track - fast and tricky with a stunning "leap of faith" theme, and 2) I love VRGs focus on race operations.

The pucker factor as you come under the bridge to set up for Turn 12 is even more incredible that the videos make it seem. I talked to Dave Murry, who does track days there and his advice was to put your helmet directly under the line between the red and white blocks painted on the bridge, shift when you're light and carry more speed through 12 than you think you can. It'll take me 100 more laps before I'm there!

As far as race operations go, there was no comparison. Finding out about schedule changes was nearly impossible and lots of sitting on the grid in the sun. My car was listed in two different classes on two different forms.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am
Site Admin

Joe - glad to hear you had fun! I hope to make it there someday to at least spectate, if not race. I'll be sure to ask for race tips from you, if/when I get down there ;)

Would have loved to have seen the Can-Am cars run, those are fearsome pieces of race machinery.

See you at the Jeff!

-Ian

http://www.vrgonline.org

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm
Profile WWW

Ian - The CanAm cars were really something. As fearsome as I remember them from the old days. Unfortunately Craig Bennet in the #101 UOP Shadow had a horrific crash into the tire wall at turn 12 and was seriously injured. There's a UOP Shadow Tribute page on Facebook which is giving updates on his recovery, which will be long. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/UOPShadowTribute2016/?fref=ts

The crash happened early in the weekend and put a damper on the remaining CanAm events.

Here's a video that shows some of the cars that were there:
https://youtu.be/FOmD4CtpUjY

Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Joe, New on the forum. Met you briefly last year at PVGP. Tried to PM you but could not.
I am looking at a 510 race car and would like to get in touch to discuss. My email...Gereed75@yahoo.com

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 pm

gereed75 wrote:
Joe, New on the forum. Met you briefly last year at PVGP. Tried to PM you but could not.
I am looking at a 510 race car and would like to get in touch to discuss. My email...Gereed75@yahoo.com

Good luck, Gary! It'd be great to have another sedan on the grid!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Gary - sorry, just saw this. Welcome! I sent you an email - please feel free to reach out anytime!

Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am

JT - I have not been on this forum for while, but just read this entire string dating back to April 2016. Anyway, I agree with you about the rigor of the VRG schedule, but what are you complaining about with your car being listed in 2 different groups? ... Go out every time they tell you to....sounds like 2X the fun to me!!!

See you in a few days

JW

Mon May 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi John! Apparently, I was only listed twice for obfuscation purposes :)... Didn't really have the opportunity! See you at the J500! Whoever gets there first save a spot!!

Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]