Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Watkins Glen 2016 
Site Moderator

Here's a video from my MGA at VRG's October event at Watkins Glen.

Some of my comments ended up in the wrong place. I guess I need a better video editor (in addition to more HP, race tires and a better driver...).

https://youtu.be/tLANqcQWCS4

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:53 am
Site Moderator

Saturday afternoon's Group One Race (in the wet)

https://youtu.be/uEEKzBMV3iY

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:07 am

Good stuff! I'd love to try rain driving someday...

The commentary is a nice addition, adds a bit of "personality" to the video. There was a bit more to work with in the first session, so it made more of a difference there. I'm wondering; what camera and editing software are you using? I'd imagine with anything going back to the original GoPro you could drastically increase video quality with some settings/file compression changes.

Depending on your goals, you may think about editing out some of the "lonely" time in the middle of the videos. If these are for you to keep then by all means leave them uncut (it's what I do with sessions that aren't as "action-packed").

Thanks for sharing!

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 pm
Site Moderator

Mike Clifford 2 wrote:
I'm wondering; what camera and editing software are you using? I'd imagine with anything going back to the original GoPro you could drastically increase video quality with some settings/file compression changes.

Depending on your goals, you may think about editing out some of the "lonely" time in the middle of the videos. If these are for you to keep then by all means leave them uncut (it's what I do with sessions that aren't as "action-packed").

I have a GoPro Hero2. I used Windows Live Movie Maker. I also have the GoPro Studio but I find it clunky & not intuitive. I suppose if I used it more I'd get used to it. I saved the files with significant compression so that likely reduces the quality. But it takes forever to both save and then upload to You Tube otherwise.

Good idea about editing out the lonely sections. I'm thinking of naming my race team "Hey Everybody, Wait For Me"...

Quote:
I'd love to try rain driving someday...

Fortunately it wasn't raining much during the afternoon session - just lots of water already on the track. Since I have street radials I may have a small advantage over those on race tires. Plus, I got my first podium finish in the rain at VIR last September. First in class, third overall on Sunday's race. Of course it had rained ALL weekend and everyone else had gone home...

Attachments:
podium 03.jpg
podium 03.jpg [ 743.77 KiB | Viewed 4009 times ]

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Eric Russell wrote:
I have a GoPro Hero2. I used Windows Live Movie Maker. I also have the GoPro Studio but I find it clunky & not intuitive. I suppose if I used it more I'd get used to it. I saved the files with significant compression so that likely reduces the quality. But it takes forever to both save and then upload to You Tube otherwise.

Good idea about editing out the lonely sections. I'm thinking of naming my race team "Hey Everybody, Wait For Me"...

Ah, okay. The compression is it for sure. I would imagine a combination of your computer and your internet connection are to blame. I used to have to wait almost 8 hours for a video to upload, so I'd leave my laptop plugged in overnight. I've since upgraded the internals of my computer and changed internet providers, but obviously that's not a simple solution :)
You could try "Lone Ranger Racing" or something, put a positive spin on it! ...so to speak.

Quote:
Fortunately it wasn't raining much during the afternoon session - just lots of water already on the track. Since I have street radials I may have a small advantage over those on race tires. Plus, I got my first podium finish in the rain at VIR last September. First in class, third overall on Sunday's race. Of course it had rained ALL weekend and everyone else had gone home...

I thought you had radials! I could hear them in the dry video but I wasn't sure if that's what I was hearing.

Remember: A podium is a podium, and it doesn't matter how you got there!

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]