Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 iRacing 

Is anyone here an iRacer?
http://www.iracing.com/

If so, would you be interested in getting together occasionally for some online racing fun?
If not, would you be interested in trying it out?

I'm not kidding when I say it is one of the main way's I stay sharp in the long spaces between races. I have only been able to afford to race 3 or 4 times per year these last few years, so I have LOTS of long spaces between races.

The Skip Barber car handles similarly to the Formula S I often run and there are even a couple of front-wheel drive cars in the simulation that I can use to practice for driving the Sonett. Some of the tracks that are in the sim and also match up to the VRG season are Summit Point, VIR, and Watkins Glen.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 am
Site Moderator

Stefan:

I saw this section http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/ but maybe you, based on your experience, could make some recommendations about controllers. Which FWD car are you using to simulate the Sonett? Jetta TDI? Is the KIA FWD?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am

I am still using the old Logitech G25 that I got in the end of 2008. So, I can speak towards that package. I find it to be completely satisfactory.
The G27 is the updated version of my wheel and pedals.

Most say the Fanatec stuff is a real improvement over the Logitech, but you do pay for it. My guess is that most of the difference is in the pedals, which is the one complaint that seems consistent about the Logitech stuff.

There's not really a good car for simulating the Sonett, though I suppose the Jetta would be the best one I can think of. I haven't tried the KIA yet. The problem is that the Sonett has that quirk of the freewheeling transmission... So there is no engine braking. It is a unique feature and one that I don't expect to ever see simulated.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm
Site Moderator

Yes, I noticed that the Fanatech stuff is pretty high end...targeted to the Porsche/Ferrari crowd (or at least the wannbees). They seem to be the only set with a clutch pedal or maybe I missed that on the Logitech. I guess everyone prefers the paddle shifters these days.

I am not even sure if the Kia is FWD, but I see your point about the freewheeling. I am surprised that you don't lock out the freewheeling on the Sonett.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 am

My Logitech G25 has a clutch pedal and the shifter can be both a 6 speed H-pattern or a forward-back sequential, plus the up-down paddles on the wheel.
The G27 has a very similar setup, retaining the 6 speed H-pattern but deleting the option for a sequential mode (except via the steering wheel paddles).

http://www.playseat.com/en/logitech-G27-review

Freewheeling in the Sonett is my secret weapon. No one else has it!

Now, some would say no one else WANTS it, but to them I explain I have developed a style around it that works for me and I have turned it into a distinct advantage. There are many subtleties, but the most obvious one is it makes left-foot braking a breeze as I need not switch between left-foot and right-foot braking depending on whether or not I need to downshift for a corner. I only ever need the clutch for upshifts. Left-foot braking opens up a whole new world of fine tuning the car's balance on corner entry and in making mid corner adjustments.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 pm

This winter I bought the Logitech set up. The G27 wheel and pedal set with a clutch pedal. I've been in Florida most of the winter so my experience
on the simulator has just been in the testing mode. I also bought a racing seat on Ebay for $300 and that completes the car feel.
Some of the cars that I tried are a challenge to keep on the track (SCCA Spec racer), but others are great fun. The best reason for me buying the set up
is to gain some knowledge of the tracks that I have not visited or have raced only once so far. After some experience with my new toy I will try racing
against real competition. I'm sure there are a ton of 12 year olds that will school me. I'm interested in communicating with VRG members about Iracing.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 am

Is there anyone besides myself and Chuck who are on iRacing and this forum?

I would be happy to set up and host a session to get together and race sometime, but it is only much fun if you have enough folks to make at least a small field.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 pm
Site Admin

If you have any luck getting it together, let me know. I haven't had my steering wheel & pedals hooked up in a LONG time...

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 am
Profile WWW

Of course!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]