Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Let’s talk video and data acquisition gear 

Hi Guys,
I’m interested in getting a video camera setup on my car like many of you already have. I’ve watched many of your videos and notice all the different displays of data and would like to learn more. This is a great tool to help improve not only driving but in learning the different tracks and I think this would be helpful not just for the new guys (like me) but others already doing this, sharing info is a great way to improve on what people are already doing and prevents others from re-inventing the wheel.

I have looked at a few different systems but again there’s nothing like getting info/advise from someone that’s already using the system. So far I’ve read about GoPro (probably the most popular camera), Replay XD, Sony High Definition Cameras, used with DashWare, TracMate, etc.

If you could please share what you’re currently using, a brief description on how it’s configure and if you would do anything different.

Thanks you all in advanced for your time and contribution.

Regards,
Rick

P.S. We all have different ideas, budgets, technical skills and I know there’s a lot of resourceful guys out there, so please don’t just stick to the “out of the box” setups.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm
Site Moderator

Rick:

I'm using Traqmate with ChaseCam video (pre-HD). The video is adequate for my purposes but not as nice as the new HD stuff. Traqmate has also upgraded hardware since I got my system years ago, but they still do support the older units with firmware and software updates from time to time. I will attend my first Traqmate Webinar next week to learn more about how to better use all the reams of data the system collects. You can see here what Traqmate is offering these days:

http://store.traqmate.com/

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 pm
Site Admin

Rick,

If you have an iPhone (or an Android, I just happen to have an iPhone), the following app can be purchased (various prices, depending upon feature set) and installed on your phone:
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Then you need only purchase a mount, I think Ram Mount tends to be pretty popular, but not necessarily cheap:
http://www.rammount.com/

If you buy the Harry's Lap Timer Grand Prix Edition, and a decent mount, that's probably $70 and the use of your phone. A bigger capacity iPhone/Android phone is recommended, in the case of iPhone, probably 64GB. I think the Android phone can probably make use of an SD card, so buying a bigger class 4 or higher SD card would make the necessary storage space. There's video linked from Harry's site, and a few racers on here use it. Puts out nice video and just enough data to give you some insight. If you have more than one phone, you can install a "slave" version of Harry's, and the phones will use Bluetooth to turn on and capture data while the primary camera records. These can then be used to create multiple view videos of your run.

GoPro: I would recommended the newest model, GoPro3+, I think this model may have fixed some of the battery issues they were having, and adds a few more capture options. I *think* Harry's will soon be able to overlay data on a GoPro video feed, but I've not looked into it recently.

Older GoPro: I have and use a GoPro2, the first model which recorded in 1080p. The mic on-board is pretty bad, so if it's an open cockpit car, you get a *lot* of bad wind noise and clipping. I opened mine up, and soldered on an RCA pigtail, that I could then plug a standard cell phone lavalier mic into with a long cord. I can then plug in the mic and tuck it somewhere that's not getting a lot of wind, and helps to really clean up the sound.
The drawback being, if you forget the mic, you don't get sound since you've removed the on-board in the process of soldering.

I don't have any experience with the other camera capture systems out there. And since my car doesn't have an ECU/ODBII, I can't take advantage of a lot of the metrics the modern cars can. But in the end, I suppose all we need are G's, GPS, speed, maybe RPMs.

As an aside:
In my day job, for the last few years, I've been piecing together a system that would use off the shelf webcams to record in HD video, to a solid state hard drive. I've never actually gotten one into the car. Maybe this year is the year.
It would also have the ability to gather GPS, accelerometer, and a few other inputs. I'd like to get EGT readings, RPMS, and throttle position/brake input - but that requires hooking up a lot of sensors in the car. It's really more of a pet project than a real effort at this time.

the nice thing is, while it would be intended to be used primarily in the car, it could be removed and connected to an HDMI display for playback, with audio, since HDMI can transmit audio over the video signal. We shall see...

http://www.vrgonline.org

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11 pm
Profile WWW

Go Pro HD is my favorite camera. I like the new Go Pro Black edition I bought this past season but It's a BIG and compressed amount of video. I've never had any issues with the microphone. As far as data goes... I use the AIM system and LOVE it. ProCoach sold it to me and I've loved and learned quite a bit from it and still continue to do so. DATA DONT LIE!
youtube channel is cmz83

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Has another used and wishes to share their experiences with the Aim Solo track data unit?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm
Site Admin

+1 Chris. I know the mic was another of the big improvements in the Black edition. You also make a valid point in that, when capturing at full HD, the file sizes can be quite large. So, spend money on a big SD card, or buy a few 4/8GB cards to swap over the course of a day.

I don't have the horsepower on the home PC to edit to files down quickly, so generally record in 720p, as the files are smaller. Gets you more recording time on the card as well.

The handy little remote is great for starting/stopping recording when buckled in as well, so you're not pulling a muscle to push the button.

http://www.vrgonline.org

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Guys,
Great info, hopefully others will chime in and provide info on what they’re using.

I’m currently looking into the Sony HD Action Video Camera HDR-AS30V and here’s some of the good points so far.

-Built-in GPS maps your location and speed.
You can use this to create a data overlay by using their free “My Memories” software. The software can also be used to create multi-views if using several cameras or have several videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkOWTPc1pU4

-Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC that lets you remote control, view and transfer with your smartphone or table.
-Recording is in Full HD 1080/60p
-Image stabilizer
-Multiple cable connections including HDMI

Looking at several reviews it’s as good, as the GoPro and in some cases better depending on the review.

This could be a good option for a newbie like me to start with, at $300 it looks to be a pretty good deal for what you get.

Just another possible option :)

Rick

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Has anyone used or have experience with the Trackmaster app for an android phone?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:04 pm
Site Admin

Lee Walsh wrote:
Has anyone used or have experience with the Trackmaster app for an android phone?

I use it, but not for video. It operates very similar to Harry's Lap Timer app for iPhone. For low buck data acquisition, it works really well.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

I use a Flip camera (under $100) or a Sony Bloggie (same price).

The Flip video isn't HD but it has an easier format for Windows Moviemaker to deal with.

In the long run, I'd say a SmartPhone with a roll-bar mount would be the hot setup. Especially with one of the various Apps (such as Harry's Lap Timer).

Here's a reminder of how it used to be: ;)

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next