Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dash cams for racing 
Site Moderator

I decided to start a new thread on race car cameras because I have a slightly different focus.

For me, I am more interested in simple and inexpensive video cameras.

While the data acquisition in the high end stuff is cool, it is not likely to be that useful to me personally.
Most of my data acquisition comes via a stop watch and the seat of my pants. ;)

In any event, there is a sort of growth industry in dash cams. Much of it comes from the need for dash cams in Russia and various 3rd world countries where a dash cam may be required for proof in an accident (since most cars in the US are properly insured, this is much less of an issue for us).

Anyway, there are a good number of cheap dash cams out there. Most use the cigarette-lighter for power, so you may not need for batteries (but will need a 12V link to the battery of your race car).

Here's one with suction cup mount for $52.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o&feature=youtu.be

And you can find more info about it here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

There's no way of knowing if these are any good, but for the price, it may be worth a look.

There are lots of other dash-cams out there. Click on the Amazon link below to see more:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dash%20cams

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:03 pm
Site Admin

Nice link Nial - these would be nice to have for alternative mounting positions. I also wouldn't feel so bad if one of these fell out of the car, as opposed to the GoPro.

http://www.vrgonline.org

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 pm
Profile WWW

Nial, thanks for the link. For $52, bucks you can’t go wrong. I too, rely and stop watches and pit signals(still stuck in the 1970's). But this camera is so cheap and the YouTube presentation makes it look worth trying. It takes about 3 weeks for delivery(through Amazon). Even if it doesn't work on the race car, I can always put it in my truck.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Wow, hard to beat for the money. For anyone looking for very basic video capabilities, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm
Profile WWW

WARNING: It is possible to waste your money on a completely useless camera. I can explain because I have personal experience.

After so many years of service, the company gives us a chance to pick a gift from a catalog. It is full of generally poor quality crap, but this time I saw there was a "helmet" camera for offer. I knew it wouldn't be as good as what I was already using, but I thought "how bad can it be?" and figured I could always use it as a rear-facing camera or something.

The picture quality is impure piss, but that's not what makes it useless.
The sound quality is irretrievable junk, but that's not what makes it useless.
What makes it useless is that the audio track and the video track are not on the same timeline!

The video track skips half a second (or so) for every some seconds elapsed. So you will watch yourself pull away from the grid before you hear yourself start the engine.

You can't even slow the video track and overlay an audio track from another camera (with expensive editing software) because the missing data from the video track is not consistent. You might go a whole 10 seconds without skipping in some cases and in others, skip 3 times in 5.

There are no firmware updates available that I have not installed. If I had actually paid for it, I'd have returned it. Unfortunately, because of how I got it, there is no way to recoup my losses because I didn't pay for it and and by the time I used it for the first time, the warranty (all 30 days of it) had expired.

Be forewarned.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]