Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 "How to" include images in your post 
Site Admin

Linking to hosted images
You'd like to host your own photos, but don't know how? How-To for that coming soon!

This method requires images to be hosted on publicly available image hosting sites. Common hosts include Photobucket, Flickr, imgur, smugmug. While this doesn't cover all image hosts, it should apply to the most popular.

If you already have a direct link to a photo, you will use the img tags to link to a photo, clicking on the "Img" button at the top of your message composition window results in the following:
Code:
[img][/img]

Between the two img tags is where the link to the image should be placed, I will use a photo from a Google search for example:

Code:
[img]http://cdn05.motorsportretro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lotus-gold-leaf.jpg[/img]

Which results in the following:

You can acquire the link to a photo in a few different ways, when it's not explicitly provided. Easiest is to right-click on the image, and select "Copy Image URL", and insert that link between the two img tags. Another option, is to right-click on the image and select "Open image in new tab/window", and then copy the address from the address bar in your browser.

If you're using a site like Photobucket, Flickr, imgur, you are often presented with a number of options for links to share.

Email & IM
    HTML
    IMG (BBCode)
    Direct

You want to use either IMG, or Direct. The IMG type includes the tags our forum uses to include images; the Direct link can be placed between the img tags you've turned on using the Img button above. The below example is me inserting an IMG link obtain from Photobucket.

Make it clickable
The above image is clickable, that is because the img tag is surrounded by URL tags, which provide a link to the image's location. The Photobucket IMG link, includes the URL tags as shown below; similar photo hosts also provide a url tag when selecting the IMG link for a photo.

You can make your own img link clickable, by including the url tags before the after the img link you've created. The below is an example of what that looks like. You can type out the url tags, or, you can highlight the text of the entire img link, and then click the URL button above. That puts the URL tags at the beginning and end of the img link you have, then, you just need to add an equal sign and the link, as shown below.

Code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/b2t7xl.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/b2t7xl.jpg[/img][/url]

And now it's clickable:

You can include as many images in a post as you would like, but, photo heavy threads may be a bit slow to load. Also, images which no longer exist - because they've been removed from the address you linked to - will disappear. Soon the board will re-size images to prevent very large photos from blowing up the forum layout.

Attached Images

The forum does allow for you to attach images. This is useful when the images are you own, and not hosted elsewhere. Or, if you have no interest in hosting them somewhere.

Note that we have restrictions on attachments:

*Only 3 attachments per reply; 1 per private message
    *256kb size limit (.25MB)
    *There is a limit to the total size of attachments board-wide.

The last item, the total size of attachments board-wide, is so that our server doesn't have to handle very large files, multiple gigabyte videos for example. We would ask that you host those in an appropriate place, like YouTube, or Dropbox. Tutorial likely to follow...

To attach an image to your post, you will see a window below your message composition, labeled "Upload Attachment". Click the "Choose File" button, and navigate to the file on your computer. Add a comment if you would like, and then click "Add the file". This will upload the file to the forum, and it will remain until it is deleted from the server. I have attached an example file to this post.

I will update this thread as necessary. If you have questions about how to do something, please reply and I will do what I can to clarify

Attachments:
File comment: Example attachment.
attachment_example.jpg
attachment_example.jpg [ 4.94 KiB | Viewed 6138 times ]

http://www.vrgonline.org
Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks to Mack reminding me, here are links to popular image hosting sites, so that you can register and host your photos if you don't already. Most are free, however, some will charge a fee if you want to upload large amounts of photos:

http://www.vrgonline.org

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Thanks Ian. Excellent and very comprehensive "HOW TO".

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:24 pm
Site Admin

Thanks, Ian!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]