Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Numbers and roundels for a newly prepared car 

What is the CW on numbers and roundels (meatballs?) for VRG cars (which will also be run in some VSCCA events)?
(1) Permanent or vinyl stickers?
(2) Suggestions on picking a number?

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:14 pm
Site Admin

John,

We use vinyl stickers on our cars. I've chosen numbers and fonts which lend themselves to being easily modified if necessary. 1's can easily be made into 7's, 7's into 8's, etc. I've also - mostly due to not paying attention when ordering - obtained doubles of most every number between 1 and 7. So I can just as easily add a nice looking third digit if necessary, rather than racer's tape. (Nothing wrong with the stuff 8-) )

Pick whatever number you like, or means something to you. Certain noteworthy numbers seem to have widespread usage, so it's usually the case the earliest registrant gets their number, everyone else uses an alternate. The vinyl are easily obtained, and relatively easy to apply (the numbers, not the circles/squares, particularly when having to bend across multiple planes).

Permanent numbers are great when you're guaranteed to get your number; and I know in some groups (VRG - not certain?) you can reserve a number, and everyone else with that number that shows up has to add a number (or make a zero and 8, etc.)

White number (10" height), on black circle; the font we use is Alegre Sans - numbers example. This provides a number wide enough to satisfy the sometimes required 1" number stroke width.

You can see them on our 2002 here:

Four our Turner, we used white squares, black numbers (also 10" height) - these stand out nicely as well:

A nice indirect benefit to using a directly contrasting number on a meatball - they allow for an easy focal point for digital photographers. As Bill Stoler (good guy photog) has told me a few times, the numbers on the BMW (and Mini, not pictured here) allow his auto-focus to lock on much quicker than with cars that have smaller/not-too-contrasty numbers. So, for what it's worth, it may help to get your car in a few more photos.... :D

http://www.vrgonline.org

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Any recommended sources for roundels & numbers? Or DIY supplies?

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:48 pm
Site Admin

I've used http://www.stickercutting.com to produce our numbers, circles, company crest (the black & white shield logo), and the windscreen banners. I've been very satisfied with their product, and Nathan the gentleman who I think runs the place, is pretty quick to follow up with your quote and get the product in the mail. I have had to buy minimum quantities of some of the bigger decals, 10 pcs. typically - but it's not an issue because I like to have the spares.

I find their prices to be fair, and it's a huge convenience that they can color print and contour-cut, as opposed to just cutting from a single color of vinyl. Their prices may be more than some other sign shops, but, the quality of the vinyl and the masking/backing they use makes application a *whole* lot easier. Their printed decals are of a very high quality, with very true blacks and high resolution.

I've used other shops that can handle smaller diameter vinyl cut-outs, but they've been passable at best. I've considered buying a vinyl cutter for my own use, but the cost of a decent machine and the number of times I would use it changes my mind every time. US Cutter is I think the accepted standard for entry level vinyl cutters http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-Software

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:28 am
Profile WWW

Ian! I'm an old 2002 fanatic! I've have as many as 3 in my garage at one point in the past (tii's and normale's).
I dumped pretty much everything a few years ago to make space for Jaguars, an E9, and the Elva.
I do miss them. They were the easiest car to drive 10/10ths of any car I've every owned (moderns included).
If I ever get a promotion and can build a bigger barn, I'm sure I'll try to find an old 2002ti to buy).

Thanks for the pictures, tips, and ideas. Could you clarify one thing? Are your "meatballs" painted on or also vinyl?

John

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 am
Site Admin

John - we love our 2002. He's been nothing but reliable once we built him a proper motor, and has served admirably as a school car for my father, and eventually for my wife. We've got a 1600 in storage we hope to dust off, de-rustify, and take racing in the next couple of years. If you happen to still have a box of OEM oil pumps tucked away somewhere...I'll gladly take them off your hands ;)

The meatballs are also vinyl. Much easier to let a machine cut a circle to stick on, than get a painted on circle actually circular!

johnfeng wrote:
Ian! I'm an old 2002 fanatic! I've have as many as 3 in my garage at one point in the past (tii's and normale's).
I dumped pretty much everything a few years ago to make space for Jaguars, an E9, and the Elva.
I do miss them. They were the easiest car to drive 10/10ths of any car I've every owned (moderns included).
If I ever get a promotion and can build a bigger barn, I'm sure I'll try to find an old 2002ti to buy).

Thanks for the pictures, tips, and ideas. Could you clarify one thing? Are your "meatballs" painted on or also vinyl?

John

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 am
Profile WWW

Ian

Sorry all the good 2002 motors and motor bits already gone to other 2002 racers (1 in NJ & one in western CT).

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Guys,
Just to clarify this number selection thing. You can actually have three numbers, correct?
The number issued by VRG (I'll call it the "club" number) this number depends on what's available when you get a log book.
Then there's an "event" number this is provided by the venue and it's 1st come 1st serve, this is the number you have to display on the track.
Finally there's your number, personal choice "optional". This is simply cosmetic and it does not mean anything as far as the event or club, you just need the ability to change it to show the event number correct? :)

Thanks,

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am
Site Moderator

Rick:

Yes, three digit numbers are OK and common in vintage racing. I'm not sure about what you refer to as a "club number", if that is the number on your membership card (and we are into 3 digits), then that is your member number. Many drivers use their member number on their race car since it is unique, at least in a given club.

As far as for an event, you can put any number you want on your car just be prepared to modify it if there is a conflict. Statistically speaking, with three digits you are less likely to have a conflict.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Mack,
I'm sorry, I guess it sounded clear in my head than the way it actually came across. I think I got my answer but to clarify:
I was under the impression that once you got your log book a car number was assigned by VRG, this is what I'm calling the “club” number.
At the event you can use this car number assigned by VRG, use your personal choice or choose what's available if the two previously mentioned are not available.
Is this correct?

I hope this makes sense. :oops:

Thanks,

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next