Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New guy with a Sprite 

Hello everyone - I was told by Ian to sign up so here I am!

A few months ago I saw a 1962 Sprite on Craigslist that was raced with the SCCA through the 70s and into the early 80s. After tagging along with Ian to check it out, it followed me home.

Attachment:
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG [ 170 KiB | Viewed 11292 times ]

My last car project was a Locost 7. Since it has been finished I've done a few seasons of autocrossing and a few track days. I've been wanting to go wheel to wheel for awhile so the Sprite fit the bill (plus I have a soft spot for vintage cars).

Step 1 is going to be getting the car safe and legal. The car only had a roll bar and its fab work wasn't the best so needless to say a cage is in the plans.

Attachment:
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG [ 187.14 KiB | Viewed 11292 times ]

The engine turns but not easily so that will also be coming out for further investigation. Based on the lack of carbon on the pistons and oil in the head, it appears to have never been fired. I'm sure there is a story behind it and the truth will be told after a little digging.

I'm sure I'll be bugging everyone with tech and driver school questions. :D

Youtube
Locost 7 build

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm
Site Moderator

Hi, Andrew. That sure is big grin on your face...!

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 pm
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Andrew!

I'm sure you will find more than a few helpful Sprite racers here to lend some advice, and spares. Enjoy the build process!

http://www.vrgonline.org

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum! I suggest that you contact Ralph Steinberg who heads the VRG eligibility committee at: ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com

Ralph can guide you towards decisions that will make your car legal with VRG, safe, and eligible for a VRG log book.

Best of luck with the build!

Jim

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks guys.

Any time a new toy arrives in a garage it is a good day. :)

Thanks for the email Jim - I'll have to drop him a line before I start cutting and bending tubes for the cage. One other thing I've been trying to muddle through is the legality of the flares; the car was raced with them in the past but I question if it is even worth keeping them since 1) a legal width wheel won't need them and 2) the standard Spridget offset doesn't seem to need them.

Youtube
Locost 7 build

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 am
Site Admin

a.moore wrote:
Thanks guys.

Any time a new toy arrives in a garage it is a good day. :)

Thanks for the email Jim - I'll have to drop him a line before I start cutting and bending tubes for the cage. One other thing I've been trying to muddle through is the legality of the flares; the car was raced with them in the past but I question if it is even worth keeping them since 1) a legal width wheel won't need them and 2) the standard Spridget offset doesn't seem to need them.

The flares will be an issue with several vintage clubs, including VRG. If your intent is to run with VRG and you don't think you require them, I would recommend removing them. This is definitely something that you should discuss with Ralph and / or the eligility committee of whatever club you plan to run with.

Looks like a great project and your smile is infectious!

JK

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:49 am
Profile WWW

Hi Andrew,
Welcome !
I am in the Baltimore area and am doing a similar build on my brothers car. Apparently, I am part of an elite group called the "Small Bore Bastards". Let us know if you have any questions.
Pete

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:42 pm
Site Moderator

Yes....Welcome Andrew!

Jim has given excellent advice regarding your car. Before doing anything, ask Ralph!

Pete and I are part of a truly excellent gang of small-bore racers. Come and join the fun!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:05 pm

I emailed Ralph - he echoed everyone's suggestion on getting rid of the flares. I found another set of front fenders on Craigslist so problem solved! I think the rears are repairable since they were not cut as much.

I'm excited to get things running and join the fun. Having everything ready for a spring driver's school is going to be a huge push - it isn't impossible but I'm accepting that it isn't probable. Chances are I'll be doing track days by the end of summer and everything will be ready for 2015.

Youtube
Locost 7 build

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]