Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 tenderfoot question: why do I need a "crew"? 

Mack,
I just got the C. Smith book on fasteners. I'll pick up the other Smith books on prep and driving.

The car is an Elva Mk6 (yes, an orphan car wrt run groups), so there's no factory anything for it.
Therefore, I'm trying to find books on just the engine and transaxle.

There's a famous book on Ford SOHC engines by Des Hammill, but it's a $125 book used!

The car has a Hewland mk8 (AFAIK), and I'll eventually want to learn how to do gear swaps myself.

The rest of the car is pretty generic. Stach tacho, Smith gauges, Pertronix distributor, run of the mill dry sump, not much electrical system (no headlights, rain and tail lights only). No fire system yet, but I'll just get what most people do (2 nozzle system from SPA, OMP, or ???).

I hope I don't need to become proficient at fiberglass repairs, but I have 75% of the equipment for bodywork and painting (don't have a supplied air respirator or MIG/TIG welder yet).

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm

John - the 240Z race car sits in my rented storage space (I have a side business selling early Z parts) up in Windham, NH. It's heated and I'll be up there this coming Saturday if you'd like to stop on by. The street 240Z with a stroked 3.2L NA motor making 360hp sits in the garage at my house in Bedford. I'll be there on Sunday. I'd love to have that engine in the race car instead

I have access to both an enclosed dual axle trailer and a single axle open trailer and go to most of the HPDE events on my own. I'd say 95% of the build was done by my race partner and myself with the only things farmed out being the head and block prep, the paint job and the annual pre-season alignment.

Had the pleasure of assisting the GMT crew at Sebring a few years back when Tom Yeager won both his class and the race in his Elva. My job was fuel management. Tom had to be towed back in to accept his trophy as he ran out about a third of the way around after crossing the finish line. My wife vetoed my suggestion that I purchase his car when it was put up for sale last year.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 pm
Site Moderator

John:

As far as your fire system is concerned there are many good choices as you have noted (SPA, OMP, etc.). I have an old SPA Halon system which is no longer available (holes in the ozone and all that). I am not sure that I could even get it refilled now if I ever used it. I think most of the newer systems are AFFF, but do your homework. As far as nozzle placement, the areas you want to cover are 1) engine compartment (especially carburetors), 2) cockpit (= you), 3) fuel cell/fuel pump area, all for obvious reasons. Just don't aim the cockpit nozzle in your face, also for obvious reasons.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 am

FWIW, the guy doing the restoration is John Lindsay up in ON, Canada.
As many of you know, John's been racing for a long time (sports cars, FJ's, FF, sports racers, etc?).
He's been out of the sport for a while and it's been interesting for me (and him) to learn the state of the sport. For example, we had some interesting discussions about whether to run traditional hard hydraulic lines or the new quick disconnect flex lines. Behind the scenes, John has been having fun sourcing and making parts for the Elva. He's generously agreed to help me fettle the car on a local track, and I'll be picking his brains on how best to prepare for the VSCCA and VRG schools. It would be great if John could come racing as well, but I don't know his current plans for his various vintage race cars.

John

Last edited by johnfeng on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:38 am
Site Moderator

John:

It is good to have a "Yoda" when you are starting out. :D

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm
Site Admin

John,

Mike has a build thread for his Elva Courier Mk IV over here
And there's another for a Courier Coupe Mk III we are working on here.

Would love to see your efforts as you bring your car back to the track!

http://www.vrgonline.org

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

I need to fix those broken image links...

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 am
Site Admin

Photobucket has disabled all hotlinking :cry:

Which, is a terrible thing for those of us crawling old web forums where people post a photo description of how to do that thing to your car you've been struggling with for hours/days/weeks/months/years/decades. :shock:

Maybe move to imgur?

http://www.vrgonline.org

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 am
Profile WWW

I started reuploading to Flickr because they allow video uploads as well, but I haven't gotten around to manually respond every single link... Go figure.

Wed May 30, 2018 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2