Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

New to a forum like this, how do you resize an existing picture to save as avatar

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:29 pm
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

You would need to use software like MS Paint, Photoshop, or another image manipulation program *See Below*. Typically there is an option to resize/scale the image you want to use, and in doing so, you specify the size.

The size of the avatars on the forum is rather small, 90 pixels square, and less than 6 kilobytes in filesize - so you *really* have to shrink down the image.

There is an online photo editor that allows you to upload and edit a photo, and then save to your computer - without having to get into installing specific software if you don't have it.

Pixlr Photo Editor:
http://pixlr.com/editor/

• When you arrive at the site, select "Open image from computer" - and then navigate to the photo you wish to use.
  • You can also choose "Open image from URL" and then provide a link to a photo. (flickr, imgur, photobucket, etc.)

That will open the image in the online editor.

• From there, click on "Image --> Image Size" at the top of the browser.
  • Change the dimensions to 90 and 90; you will need to un-check Constrain Proportions, unless you're using a square image.
  • Click "OK" and congrats! A Tiny image.
  • Next, click "File --> Save", leave it set to the "My Computer" tab, and give it a name. It tells you here what the size of the image is, so, if it's larger than 6K, you'll need to shrink it down more or turn the quality down a bit which will reduce size.
  • Once it's good to go, click OK. Remember where you save it, and then when editing your profile, choose that image to upload.

We can probably make the restrictions a little less severe with regards to file size - but I think keeping them small in dimension is best. If you need help, let me know!

http://www.vrgonline.org

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

INSTRUCTIONS WORKED GREAT - THANKS

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:24 am
Site Moderator

This is probably not possible but... wouldn't it be cool if each member's avatar was actually a thumbnail and by clicking on it you could open up a larger version for a better view? Oh well, something for the phpBB folks to work on.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:49 am
Site Admin

I will look into this at some point on my local installation; there's an option to allow for remote linking to avatar images, but I've not used it or been on a forum that does. So I can't say whether they're still just small avatars, or clickable images. I think I'll copy my above steps into a HOWTO, for future reference.

http://www.vrgonline.org

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]