Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 VRG Forum - Feature Requests/Bugs/Issues 

Great job! Two comments re FAQs:

First, I saw this in the FAQs:

...many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database.

Many, probably most, members of the boards I read are "lurkers only" and never post anything, but read and learn from the boards. I hope you will reconsider removing users who haven't posted for a long time, I think it would be a big disservice.

Second, I couldn't find anything in the FAQs about how to change my username. I assume this would mean unsubscribing and re-subscribing with a new username, but I couldn't find anything about how to unsubscribe either.

This is a big undertaking and you are doing a fantastic job. Big improvement over Yahoo in every way. Thanks for all your hard work.

Crew Chief (and Chief Bottlewasher, Videographer, Chef, Gofer) for Mack McCormack #109 Mini

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:14 am
Site Admin

Hi Leigh,

Thanks! To answer your questions:

Leigh McBride wrote:
Great job! Two comments re FAQs:

First, I saw this in the FAQs:

...many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database.

Many, probably most, members of the boards I read are "lurkers only" and never post anything, but read and learn from the boards. I hope you will reconsider removing users who haven't posted for a long time, I think it would be a big disservice.

The FAQs are boiler-plate, so some of the information included is not necessarily applicable to this forum.
In the case of the VRG forum, we don't currently have a policy to delete/deactivate users who are inactive for long periods. Thanks for pointing this out - we can likely strike that section from the FAQ. Should we ever need to look at doing something, due to the population/bandwidth/performance of the site, we'd let everyone know long in advance of this taking place.

Also, I'm testing a "digest" delivery method of the forum - so that you don't need to log in to see what's been posted, you'll receive a summary e-mail which will contain the day/week/month's posts. You'll still need to visit to reply, but you won't need to stop by just to see what's posted. I'll need to run this for a little while locally, so, I would expect it in the next week or so.

Leigh McBride wrote:
Second, I couldn't find anything in the FAQs about how to change my username. I assume this would mean unsubscribing and re-subscribing with a new username, but I couldn't find anything about how to unsubscribe either.

This is a big undertaking and you are doing a fantastic job. Big improvement over Yahoo in every way. Thanks for all your hard work.

Regarding the username change - the forum administrators and moderators are capable of changing a username. Since we require your first/last name in the signature - that should suffice per the forum's requirements. As a regular user, you cannot change your username - creating a new account is the only method you have available. If you, or other users reading this thread have a question regarding this, send one of the forum admins a PM, and we can address there.

edit Jim confirmed username changes are retroactive, removing my statement they aren't. edit

Thanks again for the kudos! I agree, I think this will be a great benefit to VRG members, and other vintage users.

-Ian

http://www.vrgonline.org

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Feature Updates

• Images will now be re-sized in a post, to 50% the width of the forum. This is done automatically in the browser, to prevent really large images from wreaking havoc on the layout. Images that aren't wider than the forum aren't touched.
  • Striking links popping new tags - want to maintain XHTML validation, could break future site updating.
  • Digest opt-in will be available Wednesday, 1-8. A How-To will be written for the sign up and configuration process. User feedback on the digest's formatting will be appreciated.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Hi Guys,
I have questions about video equipment and transponders but before I post in the “General Race Car Tech” I was wondering if maybe a new category or sub category under “General Race Car Tech” called “Electronics and gadgets” or something like that would make sense. This could include transponders, videos equipment, communications, and other gadgets, etc.

Thanks,

Rick

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:48 pm
Site Admin

Rick,

Considering how prolific technology in our old cars is these days, this sounds like a good idea. I'll set something up shortly.

Rick Londono wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have questions about video equipment and transponders but before I post in the “General Race Car Tech” I was wondering if maybe a new category or sub category under “General Race Car Tech” called “Electronics and gadgets” or something like that would make sense. This could include transponders, videos equipment, communications, and other gadgets, etc.

Thanks,

Rick

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

Ian,
That was quick, thank you very much.

Regards,

Rick

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3