Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Motorhome recommendations 

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about getting a motorhome so I can hang out with the cool people at the track rather than head off to a hotel. But I know nothing about motorhomes.

I have a 20' enclosed trailer for the race car, and loaded with car, tools and spares, I figure it weighs in around 7000 - 7500#. I measured the tongue weight and it was around 1000#.

I'd be very interested in your ideas, opinions and personal experiences. Are there track restrictions on length? (or does it get really cumbersome beyond a certain length) Issues with power? Slide outs? Water supplies?

I don't have a ton of money, but I've seen a couple of low mileage Class As and Cs in the $10-15k range.

Thanks!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:42 pm
Site Moderator

We have a Class C motorhome & tow an open car trailer. Some Class C's have an added on frame extension for the rear portion of the motorhome. I have read about fractures in those extensions when towing - I assume a heavy trailer/tongue weight would be a big factor in that issue.

We also looked at a number of low mileage Class A's. My view was that seemed to be a bit better built. But maintenance of a big diesel pusher might need to be factored in to the overall cost (and might be why we saw so many low mileage motorhomes...).

We chose the Class C because it has a bunk over the cab where our grandkids can sleep without having to disturb the dinette. We also use the motorhome for camping in addition to its use in the paddocks.

Slideouts do give you more interior space when parked. But again, they can be a maintenance issue - something more to break down &/or leak.

Friends of ours recently bought a 'toy hauler' with a fifth wheel hitch that they tow with a Dodge dually pick up. The rear section opens up with a ramp/door and easily fits a sports car (some toy haulers have smaller 'garages' to haul motorcycles or ATV's). The kitchen & main sleeping area is fully usable while hauling the car. When the car is removed the rear section has fold down couches that convert to beds and bunk beds that are lowered down from the ceiling. This gives them lots of interior space when camping.

We'll be at VIR for the VDCA Wild Hare. Feel free to stop by and check out our motorhome. Our friends with the toy hauler are likely to be there with us, too.

Attachments:
paddock 02.jpg
paddock 02.jpg [ 25.11 KiB | Viewed 7328 times ]

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara
Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks, Eric - will stop by for sure!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Joe -- I have no experience with RV's but something to consider with "toy haulers": the floor height of the "garage" area is often very, very high compared to a regular car-hauler trailer. You may not be able to load a low-slung vintage sports car, unless you somehow get extremely long ramps. I think most buyers of toy haulers use them for motorcycles or ATV's, where steep ramp angles are not a problem.

People I know who have purchased inexpensive, used RV's have generally had to spend a considerable amount of money on deferred maintenance and/or hidden defects that were not apparent when they purchased the thing. For a low-priced, used RV it may be prudent to view the initial purchase price as merely the down payment ...

A few vintage racers have started with a traditional car hauler, and added some amenities to make it usable for camping at the track. Obviously that wouldn't typically include a toilet or shower, but there are clever drop-down beds and so forth. Some trailer manufacturers are now offering "pop-out" canvas-enclosed/screened beds that drop down on the outside of the trailer -- for example, this one from Becker, which looks rather cozy (although it may be chilly at the Turkey Bowl!):
http://www.beckercustomtrailers.com/tra ... ler-deluxe

If your current tow vehicle is capable and well-maintained, it may prove less expensive in the long run to design your camping needs into the trailer instead of buying a higher-maintenance RV -- if you can live with the compromises of camping in the trailer.

Good luck,
Mark Palmer

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks, Mark! Good info!

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Joe
A good friend of mine who also runs a 240Z and will be paddocked with us at the Jefferson is selling his. Stop by and take a look at it as it's immaculate.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks! Does he have it listed somewhere?

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:49 pm

There are toy haulers and then there are toy haulers. I have done a bunch of looking at them over the last 12 months. The vast majority are made for 4 wheelers and motorcycles. There are however a few companies that make them for cars. The two that I liked best are the Forest River Work and Play and those made by Vintage trailers. I actually went to the factory in Indiana where Vintage trailers are made. Awesome trailers and they will customize them however you want. I was working with KB trailers out of Cleveland and they were by far the most responsive group out of all those I talked to. I purchase a bigger truck in November in anticipation of getting a toy hauler in the future. Now I just need to hit the lottery. :)

Marty

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]