Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Weight Distributing Hitch vs Air Ride/air adj. suspension 

OK I tow with a Range Rover, and I think its great. I've always felt the front tires seem well planted. Friends of mine have a load leveling hitch (Reese) and they think I need to get one. I think the air suspension on my RR makes the same compensation.

What does the LIST think?

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

Rick, i use a Honda Ridgeline to tow an open Trailex with a Datsun 240z on board. Total weight is about 3,100 to 3,300 lbs. The Honda load limit is 5,000 lbs and the owners manual specifically advises against using a weight distributing hitch. You might check with LR to see how they feel.

Don Mei

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Rick,

No, the air suspension does not make the same compensation. The weight-distributing hitch, properly adjusted, applies a moment (torque) to the tow vehicle which changes the weight distribution -- it effectively moves some of the hitch load to the front axle of the tow vehicle. Your air suspension does not do that.

Both systems help to maintain a more level attitude of the tow vehicle, but they do it in different ways.

That said, I used to have a Ford Explorer, to which I added supplemental air springs, and I thought it worked very well. It allowed me to level the tow vehicle, even with the 300 lb +/- tongue weight of the trailer and a couple hundred lb of tools and spares, and the rig seemed to handle better with the rear suspension stiffened by the air springs. It did nothing to reduce the load on the rear axle, it merely leveled the vehicle. But the rear axle wasn't overloaded to begin with, in my scenario.

If you have any concerns about your axle loading, take the whole rig to a nearby truck scale and get weights on each axle.

Mark

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]