Switch to full style
Helmets, driver suits, Nomex, gloves, shoes, Head and Neck restraints
Post a reply

Driver suit rule clarification

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Hello, I have a question about the VRG rules regarding driver's suits. The rules state a 2 or 3 layer suit is required. There are now suits in the marketplace that meet SFI 3.2A/5 but are only 1 layer. Apparently modern materials have now made this possible. Are these considered acceptable for VRG? I am in the process of replacing my old suit and would like to know if I can consider this as an option.

Thanks
Doug Faust

Re: Driver suit rule clarification

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Actually the rules state 3 layers are required - either a 3 layer suit or a 2 layer suit plus nomex underwear.

3.1.3. Suit: All drivers are required to wear a racing suit made of approved fire-resistant material that covers the body from neck to wrists and ankles. The material must be approved by SFI, FIA, SCCA, or ASN. Three layers of fire resistant material are required, which may be obtained by a 2-layer suit with underwear, or a 3-layer suit. One-piece suits are highly recommended. A 3-layer suit, which meets or exceeds SFI 3.2A-5 specification (or FIA equivalent), worn with underwear, is highly recommended.
Post a reply