Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Formula Vee Eligibility 

Since the Formula Ford Series is allowing inboard suspension "modern" cars, why won't you allow zero-roll Formula Vees to race in your series. Eligibility rule application seems biased. FV in the NEDiv. SCCA seems to be waning at the regional level and not all of us can afford have all the tricks to be competitive at the Majors level in SCCA. There are a lot of FV drivers that just want to have fun and some competition to race with. I think VRG could draw a nice group of FV drivers to your events.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Doug,

Reach out to Keith Lawrence to discuss ... The VeeRG Challenge Series, and previously Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series are run under different rule sets than the VRG (or at least until they are adopted). Keith is one of the founding members and he can review the decision making process ... My understanding is the current cut off is 1975 SCCA Guidelines

With that said, I do agree that there is a huge market for VRG with these NE folks and SCCA has done nothing by disenfranchise their members in this class. Good Luck and feel free to reach out if you have any issues.

--- Christopher Shoemaker
Royale Racing, LLC

1972 Royale RP16 (FF)
1973 Caldwell D13 (FV)
+ More

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Since I know nothing about Formula V's, dismiss this if it does not apply. Browsing the VRG page showing the VeeRG rules, I see it says,
Quote:
The VeeRG Formula Vee series is comprised of 2 distinct Formula Vee classes for single seat, open wheel race cars.

These classes are:

FV Vintage (FVv):
Formula Vee through 1970 with Z-Bar rear suspension

FV Historic (FVh):
Formula Vee 1970-1975 with Z-bar or zero-roll suspension comprised of dual shock/spring units (coil overs).

Are these 'FVh' cars not the versions you are asking about?

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Good to see ... the rules have been updated!

Eric, the issue here is the rules DO NOT align with the SCCA 1975 GCR (1st point). Next, the ask from Doug is that there are a lot of FV cars ... post 75 and pre that do not want to run a fan shroud; this is specific to the first class

FV Vintage (FVv):

There is a HUGE FV market in the NorthEast, last of the large groups currently in the SCCA. This would be a great capture for VRG and depending on car counts is an excellent mix with our small bore and possibly its own entity for select events where VRG can affort the track time. My suggestion to Keith has been to allow these cars in (pick a cut off), no fan shroud, but leverage a spec tire. These guys just want a place to run, already have a series ... why can it not be with the VRG. Worst case, why can we not get them at key events at a min?

All items for our BoD .... I just hope they are talking about it versus another production year increase which is not yielding any results in car counts to date (correct me if I am wrong). IMHO, VRG is at a cross roads and I just hope we do not follow the SVRA. Spec Classes are the way to go and the FF groups proves my point. ITB, DSR, CSR, etc ... and then increase prod year for the class.

Royale Racing, LLC

1972 Royale RP16 (FF)
1973 Caldwell D13 (FV)
+ More

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 am
Profile WWW

We have strict rules for formula vees.
And we want to keep it VINTAGE.
We will not modify the rules just to
get more cars. Our guys play by the
rules and that's why our races are so much fun.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:58 am
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input - I will make sure to take to the Board for our next meeting - food for thought.

Personally - we're pulling our Mk1 Autodynamics out of the rafters to build up and go racing, so that's 1 more that's on track next year I hope - given time, $$, luck. :D

cshoem286 wrote:
Good to see ... the rules have been updated!

Eric, the issue here is the rules DO NOT align with the SCCA 1975 GCR (1st point). Next, the ask from Doug is that there are a lot of FV cars ... post 75 and pre that do not want to run a fan shroud; this is specific to the first class

FV Vintage (FVv):

There is a HUGE FV market in the NorthEast, last of the large groups currently in the SCCA. This would be a great capture for VRG and depending on car counts is an excellent mix with our small bore and possibly its own entity for select events where VRG can affort the track time. My suggestion to Keith has been to allow these cars in (pick a cut off), no fan shroud, but leverage a spec tire. These guys just want a place to run, already have a series ... why can it not be with the VRG. Worst case, why can we not get them at key events at a min?

All items for our BoD .... I just hope they are talking about it versus another production year increase which is not yielding any results in car counts to date (correct me if I am wrong). IMHO, VRG is at a cross roads and I just hope we do not follow the SVRA. Spec Classes are the way to go and the FF groups proves my point. ITB, DSR, CSR, etc ... and then increase prod year for the class.

Royale Racing, LLC

http://www.vrgonline.org

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 am
Profile WWW

fvee25 wrote:
We have strict rules for formula vees.
And we want to keep it VINTAGE.
We will not modify the rules just to
get more cars. Our guys play by the
rules and that's why our races are so much fun.

Your comments and opinion are appreciated, and as I have said it is something for our BOD and fellow FV drivers to vote on. I for one am pro expansion so long as it is done correctly and in a way to ensure everyone remains competitive; this means a spec tire.

FYI - Noticed NO signature (name) for your profile, but you can always feel free to reach out to me if you wish to discuss my reasoning.

Royale Racing, LLC

1972 Royale RP16 (FF)
1973 Caldwell D13 (FV)
+ More

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

Guys,
No use making anymore comments about this issue.
We are NOT changing the rules. If these guys want to
race with us buy or build a vintage vee.
Harry
#25 AD Mk. IV.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 am

Maybe I missed something ...

Are you saying that FV Drivers have NO SAY about the future of their group? Are you saying VRG is not a Driver's Club, but rather Harry's club? Last I checked, we all have equal say. I suggest you listen to the opinions versus trying to shut them down.

1972 Royale RP16 (FF)
1973 Caldwell D13 (FV)
+ More

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm
Profile WWW

If the aim is to keep it competitive; then fans, shrouds and generators must be used.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next