Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A-Series 850 Tuning 
Site Admin

Just mulling some things over, and I was wondering, is there any precedent for A-series 850 tuning?
I've seen a few articles of Downton putting together some hot 850's, pre-Cooper release, but I suspect it was a rather short-lived tuning revolution.

Thinking about making an under 1-Liter motor. This is probably the more frustrating path, but, it would be interesting if nothing else.
We've got a 998 block sitting next to an 850 block, and if the latter could be more than a fancy paperweight with a magic wand, that would be nice.

I think we'd probably convert to remote change first... :D

http://www.vrgonline.org

Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am
Profile WWW

Ian,

Take a look at Vizard's book -- he has some info on the 850. It has a better bore/stroke ratio than the 948 so it could be a little screamer, but of course you're giving up cubic inches so it would probably have less horsepower than a 948. But you could try to convince PVGP to have an Under 850cc Class ...

Mark Palmer

Fri May 02, 2014 6:04 pm
Site Moderator

Vizard's book is definitely the place to start http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-A-Series-Engine-Definitive-Performance/dp/1859606202. I vaguely recollect that the 850 was a class in rallycross in the UK so you might be able to find more info on the Internet.

Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 am
Site Admin

That's what we're thinking Mark, something that revs for days. Might not go all *that* fast, but it will sound like it is!

Mark Palmer wrote:
Ian,

Take a look at Vizard's book -- he has some info on the 850. It has a better bore/stroke ratio than the 948 so it could be a little screamer, but of course you're giving up cubic inches so it would probably have less horsepower than a 948. But you could try to convince PVGP to have an Under 850cc Class ...

Mark Palmer

Sat May 03, 2014 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

If it were me, I'd build a parts-chaser out of it. Of course, you'd need a tub and some spare bits around.

That's what I did when I found myself with a presentable '73 Midget tub and a nice street 948 engine. The tub was missing an engine, fenders, a gearbox, a top, seats and lots of other bits (it was a former parts car).....but it was stuff I had around (or I could trade for in some cases).
My "parts chaser" has a 948 sedan engine (low compression) with a single SU carb. About 35 HP. It's lovely soft little thing to drive about on the street, will run on any fuel and gets amazing gas mileage.
It's not quite a rat-rod but also miles away from a show car. Very basic and simple with no rugs, patched seats and lots of "patina".
I run "948 cc" badges on the fenders, so everyone *gets* that it's a sub-liter car at cruise nights or car shows.

Even if you can't find a Mini tub, jam it in an America or 1100 tub and build a mellow, simple cruiser with classic license plates.

Here's mine: total investment = $275, including 4 new eBay tires and Tractor Supply paint and brush. ;)

Mon May 05, 2014 6:21 am
Site Moderator

Love it! Looks great at 30 feet. :-)

Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 am
Site Admin

Oh boy - that is nice! Mack's right, looks great. I also like the idea of it being something that's nicely "broken-in".

I miss having a little British car to bop around town in. A little sprite would be just the ticket for the city living - perfect for trips to the ice cream shop with the Missus.

Mon May 05, 2014 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]