Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 VRG School & Continuing Education Resources 
Site Admin

Many vintage racing clubs offer driving schools, but few, if any, are as comprehensive as the two-day school conducted by VRG’s Driver Development Program. For further information on the VRG Drivers School, please visit the following page on the VRG website:

http://vrgonline.org/school/

For a series of continuing education articles please visit the following page on the VRG website:

http://vrgonline.org/school/continuingeducation.html

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

Jim, count me in for the two-day, Level 2 course at the Jefferson 500 for 2014.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:03 pm
Site Admin

David Kinsey wrote:
Jim, count me in for the two-day, Level 2 course at the Jefferson 500 for 2014.

That's great, David. We'll be posting on these forums when registration is open.

Jim

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

"Continuing Ed" (pun intended) is another great VRG resource by our Chief Driving Instructor and Board member Ed Valpey. There is a ton of good info in there. I learn something new every time I re-read it. Highly recommended.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:45 pm
Site Moderator

Newbie here. I am also planning to attend VRG's driving school in May. Anyone know of any schools before then?

Speaking as a newbie/wannabe, might that be an idea for a forum section?

Attachments:
left front 01 sm.jpg
left front 01 sm.jpg [ 69.14 KiB | Viewed 14084 times ]

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:09 pm
Site Admin

Eric Russell wrote:
Newbie here. I am also planning to attend VRG's driving school in May. Anyone know of any schools before then?

Eric,
If Summit Point is in striking distance, I would highly recommend a Friday At The Track in a street car prior to the school. This will give you some hands on time on the same track as the school with an instructor riding along in your car with you:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/prog ... the-track/

Jim

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I concur with Jim - if you can get to a track day before hand, do so. Schools are a lot of information to have to process from the classroom standpoint, and the sensory input on-track can be overwhelming if you've not yet smelled/heard/felt a race car at speed.

I think a "rookie" sub-forum could be beneficial. I know there are a few drivers in my area - Pittsburgh - who are either moving towards vintage from SCCA, coming from a time-trial/AutoX background, or, completely new to road racing. This section could contain links to videos of our own in-car footage, a link to the awesome Skip Barber "Going Faster", as well as a place for new drivers and those considering getting involved a place to hang out, arrange meet-ups, and ask questions of all kinds. Jim - do you think this would be beneficial, or do you think the VRG Drivers Education forum would suffice?

Jim Karamanis wrote:
Eric Russell wrote:

Eric,
If Summit Point is in striking distance, I would highly recommend a Friday At The Track in a street car prior to the school. This will give you some hands on time on the same track as the school with an instructor riding along in your car with you:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/prog ... the-track/

Jim

http://www.vrgonline.org

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ian Wisbon wrote:
Jim - do you think this would be beneficial, or do you think the VRG Drivers Education forum would suffice?
I would prefer that any driving school related conversations take place here. However, there is a lot more to being a 'newbie' than just the schooling. So sure, a newbie specific forum may not be a bad idea.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:18 pm
Profile WWW

Get thee to the autocross!
Seriously, there is no cheaper or more local way to learn the limits of your car.

Also, in my own opinion, it teaches car handling much faster than on the track since you can safely go over the limit on a regular basis without endangering your self or your vehicle.

When I started vintage racing I had already been autocrossing for several years and had developed enough car handling skills to be fast and safe on the track ON MY OWN. Of course I still had to learn how to RACE and how to handle traffic, but only racing really teaches you that.

As a side benefit, I learned how to walk a course effectively, how to get into the correct mindset despite distractions, and how to quickly learn a new course.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:51 pm

What type of car is required to attend the 2 day drivers school? Can it be an ordinary street car? Bob

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next