Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Off-season karting events, are you interested? 

Which tracks would you be willing to attend?
Poll ended at Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 am
On Track Karting, Wallingford/Brookfield, CT (Gas) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix, New Castle DE (Gas) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F1 Boston, Braintree, MA (Gas) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Checkered Flag Indoor Karting, Haverhill, MA (Electric) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Pole Position Raceway, Jersey City, NJ (Electric) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grand Prix NY, Mt. Kisco, NY (Gas) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Lehigh Valley Grand Prix, Allentown, PA (Gas) 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Go Speed Raceway, Horsham, PA (Electric) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Slick Willy's, Wyomissing, PA (Electric) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
All Sports Grand Prix, Dulles, VA (Gas) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Off-season karting events, are you interested? 
Site Admin

The VRG is considering putting together a few off-season karting events, similar to the event being held on February 8th at GPNY.

We'd like to determine how many VRG members would be interested in taking part, and at what tracks.
A possible scenario is a series of three karting races, at indoor venues in the North East as it will be the winter months, with a "Finals" race at Summit Point Kart in the spring.

You can select three courses, and can change your vote if you would like. If you have suggestions for indoor facilities not listed, please let us know in a reply. We're aiming for facilities that are convenient to the majority of the membership.

Tracks are noted as either providing gas or electric karts.

http://www.vrgonline.org

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

It sounds interesting but, IMO, I'd be unlikely to travel a great distance to attend.

If there were something local (I haven't investigated) would it be possible to open up the invite to other like-minded clubs? For example, I also belong to the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (NC, SC & VA), the North Carolina MG Car Club, & Corsa Rosa (multi-make car club in NC). I know in past years the Alfa club would have a kart club meet - I think it was an indoor track in Greenboro, NC.

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I voted for GPNY despite my...half-and-half record with them in the past. Just for your information, it sounds like another electric kart facility is going to be opening in the Poughkeepsie Galleria early this year. I can check it out and report back!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 pm
Site Admin

Yes - please do Mike!

MikeClifford2 wrote:
I voted for GPNY despite my...half-and-half record with them in the past. Just for your information, it sounds like another electric kart facility is going to be opening in the Poughkeepsie Galleria early this year. I can check it out and report back!

Eric, to the best of my knowledge, anyone who wants to race is welcome to attend. There's around 20 members in NC/SC/VA, and it looks like there are indoor facilities in Raleigh and Mooresville. If there were significant interest from other groups in the southern region, we could look to coordinate something down there.

Eric Russell wrote:
It sounds interesting but, IMO, I'd be unlikely to travel a great distance to attend.

If there were something local (I haven't investigated) would it be possible to open up the invite to other like-minded clubs? For example, I also belong to the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (NC, SC & VA), the North Carolina MG Car Club, & Corsa Rosa (multi-make car club in NC). I know in past years the Alfa club would have a kart club meet - I think it was an indoor track in Greenboro, NC.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix, New Castle DE
Super local to me, but splits the difference between the far south Dulles location and the other NJ/PA/NY mid-atlantic sites.

I'd probably partake. GPNY is a haul for me for a few hour event but I've enjoyed it so much in the past. Besides, I have a reputation to uphold.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm
Site Admin

These guys get bonus points for the only embedded sound on a website I won't immediately kill. (F1 Engine sound). These are gas, correct?

I will add this one - that brings the vote to 10. To all watching this thread, you can change your votes if you want.

Stefan_Vapaa wrote:
Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix, New Castle DE
Super local to me, but splits the difference between the far south Dulles location and the other NJ/PA/NY mid-atlantic sites.

I'd probably partake. GPNY is a haul for me for a few hour event but I've enjoyed it so much in the past. Besides, I have a reputation to uphold.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

Yes. They are gas karts.

Coincidentally, I could probably convince Paul Alderman (a prospective member, if he hasn't already joined) to come and play with us there. He and his dad George have their machine shop a half a mile up the road from Mid Atlantic Grand Prix.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am
Site Admin

Ok Stefan - I added it. I'm going to leave the list alone now - as that covers all of the relevant tracks.

By changing the poll, it resets the tallies. So everyone who voted, please vote again - and this time they will stay locked in.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Just a bump to remind everyone to stop by and vote, if you haven't already. Apparently this is a really interesting topic for the web bots, judging by the 8000+ views of this topic. We'll be closing down the poll in about a week.

Thanks!

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

So this is about as old a thread as I can resurrect on this forum, but I finally attended both installations of FasTrax Raceway. The first is in Albany (across the street from the Crossgates Mall for any locals) and the second is in the Poughkeepsie Galleria in Poughkeepsie, NY. First of all, the karts themselves: They're very different from gas-engined karts in that there is little to no lag at lower rpm. Where you may feather the throttle around a tight turn in a gas kart to keep the revs up, doing so in an electric kart will only drop rear traction and cost time. The kind of annoying thing about both installations (at least during your first visit, as I've only been to each location once) is a mysterious man somewhere with a knob who gets to choose how fast your kart is. Apparently if you pass his secret criteria during your first laps, he will allow you to use the rest of the kart's power. I actually asked about this "feature" at the Poughkeepsie installation and the employee I asked seemed ignorant of anything like that. Lo and behold though, my lap time on lap 7 was 3 seconds faster than lap 6...on a 20-second lap. Hopefully you automatically get all the juice in subsequent visits. One the kart was turned all the way up, it was surprisingly fast. I would be curious pitting it against a kart from GPNY for example, I believe them to be pretty comparable if not slightly in the electric kart's favor.

The second main difference between these tracks and the small amount of other karting I've done is racing is strongly discouraged. Karts are released at regular intervals so as to keep them as far away as possible from each other, and finishing order is related to best lap time. I'm sure it's done to cut down on complaints and make things accessible to less race-oriented people (e.g. families, children), but you can decide if that matters to you one way or the other.

Thirdly, the operation is a bit less professional than somewhere like GPNY for example (although my last two visits there were pretty unimpressive as far as the employees were concerned). None of the employees at either location could give very much helpful information about the karts nor the racing line nor much driving strategy. Oh well, good practice figuring it out myself I suppose. Additionally, each track only has one flagger which may be related to the emphasis against racing but makes him (or her) pretty unhelpful in many situations. At the Albany track, the flagger stood in the center of an ess where he could only be seen by someone looking to miss the turn completely and drive directly into a wall.

Regarding the track layouts, I believe the Poughkeepsie location to have a much more interesting track though both can be exciting and fun.

You are given timing sheets after each event which track your lap times, best time of the session, etc. They also use an interesting "RPM" ranking system that means little aside from relative experience at each track. Good finishes gain RPM, bad finishes drop RPM. The higher/lower you finish, the larger the change. Also, beating a driver with a higher RPM increases your bonus and his penalty. RPM, though it seems like it would, has no effect on kart performance.

Hopefully this is helpful and not waaaaay too long for anyone to read!

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]