Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Whiskey Hill Historic races in Palmer, MA 
Site Moderator

Mike Lawton wrote:
FAQ are now up,
Come, bring friends! You (and they) will love the track!

From the FAQ: "Crew and spectators:
Unlimited, please bring friends!"

Should we list them as crew in the MotorSport Registration page or just have them show up? I think I recall the registration page indicates 3 crew included with an additional fee for more.

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Eric, I changed it, I think after you registered. No fee for unlimited guests.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi again - does anybody have thoughts about final drive ratio at Palmer? Looks like there's a pretty long straight.

Thanks!

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Just sent:

This track is sure to be a favorite with an incredible layout and we at VRG are fortunate enough to get in with a great date in the best part of the year. The track is challenging and a whole lot of fun. But don't take my word for it, here are some quotes from others who have driven the track:

Will Turner (Pro Racer, multi-class champion and team owner):
“What a track ! Thanks for letting me drive it first !”
“Okay so in a nutshell - it's the most technical track I've ever been on and it also has the most elevation changes per mile (Besides the ‘ring) every corner is a late Apex. Very late apexes! If you're driving that track you need to repeat that in your head every corner.”

Santo Spadaro (VSCCA racer):
“It is the Spa of Massachusetts”

John Schieffelin (VSCCA President):
“Challenging and fun - a real driver's course. Nice flow to it. Up and down and around. The YouTube videos do not do it justice. Great scenery, but you can only enjoy it on a slow touring lap.”

Ron Savenor (PCA Champion):
“The place is a blast, very technical”

Stephanie Funk (SCCA racer):
“This is a track unlike any I have run before. It's as close to Laguna as I will come. It's one thing to drive it at slow speed (like we did last November) as opposed to running it. It's truly like a roller coaster”

Other comments by SCCA Racers:
“I really like the track and think it will become the region's favorite. It flows like Mt. Tremblant.....”
“impressions after the first W2W race there over the weekend....the track is crazy, with tons of "racing" room……My conversations with everyone that raced it say that we have a winner....plenty of places to pass and many lines into some of the tricky stuff.”
“Scary, yes. Fun, absolutely. This place is a great track and has the beginnings of an awesome track akin to WGI and Mont Tremblant, though obviously different…. I do know racing will be intense and that's a good thing. There are many lines depending on FWD/RWD, dry/wet conditions that are more greatly varied by Palmer's change in elevation and loads of late/blind apexing. There is racing room, yet at some points there are obviously pinch points based on fastest lines. Club racing should be a blast!”

We have pushed back the late fee for another week, members can still register for $450. What are you waiting for?

Any questions, please email me directly - I hope to see you there!

Mike

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:58 pm
Site Moderator

Mike Lawton wrote:
Palmer does check sound and we need to respect their limit. They have said that most cars have needed only a turndown or turnaway to pass - as in the elbow that Mack has described above.

FWIW, I bought a Radio Shack dB meter on eBay (for $2.00).

On the "A" scale & about 45 feet away, at 3,000 rpm my MGA measured ~ 80 dB when I was directly behind the car and a little less when I was about the same distance but 45 degrees to the side. In my opinion, my MGA is 'fairly loud'.

I have no idea how that compares to real life. But for 2 bucks it was worth a try. I will be bringing a turn down...

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:19 pm

For those attending the invent at Whiskey Hill next weekend in Palmer, MA don't overlook Mike's FAQ document and his note about race fuel NOT being available at the track. It is available at Como's about 1 mile away but you'll need to call them Saturday or Monday to "place your order" for 5-gal cans of race fuel to be sure they are available next weekend. I called today - they sound very friendly but they do need advance notice in order to assure availability for Fri / Sat next weekend.

John

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Just ordered 2 cans. Ten gallons - $140.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3