Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2014 Jefferson 500 & VRG School 
Site Admin

Darryl Streed wrote:
Thank you Jim
I appreciate it. That sure would make it easier than trying to do everything in the morning. And being able to have car trailer and RV all together makes me feel much more comfortable.
Can't wait!

Haven't forgotten about this. The track manager is on vacation, I should be able to speak with him tomorrow.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Michael Oritt wrote:
Hi Jim--

I thought it had been made a part of the standard FAQ template but in any case I would appreciate your revising yours to nonte that VRG regalia WILL be available throughout the event beginning Friday.

Best--Michael

Will do.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am
Profile WWW

Jim,
Quick question. I'll be at Summit point for the driver’s school and thinking of staying for the Jefferson 500, do I need a transponder? If so can I rent one at the track or should I just make my own arrangements before I get there?

Thanks,

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm
Site Moderator

Rick:

If you want timing and scoring you need a transponder. Without a transponder you won't show up on any of the timing sheets. Given today's technology you cannot expect the T&S team to manually time you. See this thread elsewhere on the Forum. http://vrgonline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=139 Contact Ian. This group needs more participants to make the group price break and you need a transponder.

Either way, get a hard wired one, mount it and forget it. You will have enough stuff to try to remember before going out on track without having to worry about whether you put in the rechargeable transponder and is it fully charged.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 am
Site Admin

Rick,
As Mack stated, a transponder is highly recommended. If you don't want to buy one right now, OGRacing (http://www.ogracing.com) normally has a few available to rent if you coordinate with them in advance.

Jim

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Jim Karamanis wrote:
Darryl Streed wrote:
Thank you Jim
I appreciate it. That sure would make it easier than trying to do everything in the morning. And being able to have car trailer and RV all together makes me feel much more comfortable.
Can't wait!

Haven't forgotten about this. The track manager is on vacation, I should be able to speak with him tomorrow.

I have confirmed with track officials, the students, instructors and workers can enter the paddock of the main track Tuesday evening after 6pm.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 am
Profile WWW

Mack,
By no means would I expect anyone to keep time manually. My point was simple considering this will be my first event after the driver's school I will be concentrating on what I learned, the track and seeing how my car handles, lap time is the least of my interest, I expect I'll be bringing up the rear specially since I don't have my race motor. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll be sure to have a transponder. :)

Jim,
Thanks for the info, being an IT guy I don't like buying tech hardware (already have a room full of stuff to recycle) so I'll be doing a Flex plan with MyLaps.

Thanks,

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 am
Site Admin

Rick,
This is one place where your commodity purchase will last a lifetime! Seriously, I agree with Mack's advise. Buy a hard-wired transponder and be done with it. And as a newbie you really need your lap times / sheets. Seeing if you are improving or not helps you grow as a driver. You may try something slightly different in a session and discover that it helps or hurts your lap times by 1 to 2 seconds. Without any sort of data, there is no way to know. There are also inexpensive apps that you can purchase for Android & iOS that will use GPS to track your lap times for personal use / growth. It's a cheap way to get started with data acquisition.

Jim

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 am
Profile WWW

Jim,
Thanks for the advice and yes I'm aware of the importance of data acquisition and being able to track your progress. I was only referring to this event when I said that "lap times would be the least of my interest" I think that will be quite different on my next event. :)

Thanks you all for the advise

Regard,

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:14 am
Site Moderator

Question about a transponder. I have a second hand unit. The previous owner 'released' it. I have registered it in my name at MyLaps.com

I have it mounted in the right front wheel well, wired to the ignition circuit & the LED comes on when the ignition is on.

Anything else I need to do?

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next