Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Rookie Stripes? any example images? 

Just got back from VSCCA's Pocono event where I did the VSCCA school.
Great event, appreciated the short track (easy to remember), can't believe how fast those old cars go.

Based on that event, Ed V tells me I'm eligible as a provisional driver in VRG :)
Does anyone have a picture of where/how to apply the rookie stripes on the rear/left of the car?

John

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm
Site Admin

Ed has rookie stripes that he hands out to the students who complete the VRG school. He may have a set that he can send to you. Traditionally, two parallel stripes indicates a rookie.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 pm
Profile WWW

John,

Two parallel stripes, roughly 2" wide x about 10-12" long, contrasting to your paint color, usually the stripes are set at a bit of an angle (not dead vertical), usually lower right side of car's tail. Duct tape can be hard on the paint. Hardware stores usually have vinyl tape in a few different colors. Don't use white or black, you want it to stand out. Best color for a light car is red; for a dark car is yellow.

I couldn't find any good images on the internet, sorry.

Then remember to point people by! OK this may sound silly, but it works: you can actually practice point-by's in your everyday car on the highway. You don't have to raise your hand up above the seat (people may mistake it for road rage and think you're pointing a gun!) but you can do a little "short-arm" point-by keeping your hand below the seatback. Some people may think this sounds stupid, but it really does help to build your mirror awareness and gives you some practice on the timing of the point-by. The goal is to ingrain a habit, it doesn't hurt to practice anywhere you can.

Mark Palmer

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Mark,
Excellent , that's quite clear. Vscca also asks rookies to point by. At one point I got passed by three cars when I pointed, but no problem as I saw all 3 queued up to dive under me on the inside. I hope start rookies at the back so we get a few laps before our mirrors fill up.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 am

John--

Don't feel compelled to drive up to the front of the false grid or take the next space when cars are lining up. Hang back and park toward middle or rear and you will create the breathing room that you need.

Best--Michael Oritt

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]