Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Miata in Vintage Racing 
Site Moderator

Road & Track article about vintage racing Miata's.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports ... ge-racing/

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 am

As you probably know, VDCA has allowed the older 1600cc Miatas to race with them for at least a year now. My first racing against a Miata was at last year's Wild Hare Run but there was only one. Six showed up at Roebling Road this last December. I thought that somebody might be interested in how they performed relative to the rest of group 3 so I've attached some of the results from RRR.

Attachments:
Session 1 RRR Dec 2016.pdf [625.89 KiB]
Downloaded 213 times
Session 2 RRR Dec 2016.pdf [699.65 KiB]
Downloaded 210 times
Race RRR Dec 2016.pdf [96.95 KiB]
Downloaded 207 times
Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm more interested in how they behaved. I've raced against them in SCCA production events and in general, when in prod configuration, they behave. When you get a pack of them all in Spec Miata configuration, the behavior is much different. It's a big reason I don't run SCCA prod class any more.

mike h

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile WWW

I know what you mean. I sometimes crew at SCCA races and watch the races when I get the chance. I remember watching a large group of Miatas (must have been 30 of them) come down over the hill at Summit and thinking that it had a lot in common with demolition derby. However, at RRR they were reasonably well behaved. In part that is because the Grand Wazoo of VDCA (Mike Jackson) doesn't put up with nonsense. After the usual introductory drivers' meeting, he had a special meeting of the Miata drivers and he read them the riot act trying to point out how vintage is different. At an earlier race I became friends with the only Miata driver there. He related something that had happened the first time that he raced vintage. He was racing as "usual" and wouldn't let John Hasty by. He said that Mike told him not to do it again. Both times that I raced with him, it was clear that he had cleaned up his act significantly. In fact, I don't remember any real complaints about the 6 Miatas at RRR. My guess is that there were some that I didn't hear about because old habits often die hard. It will be a learning process and, as you know, some people learn faster than others.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Mike Jackson thinks that the VDCA decision to not allow slicks will cause a large fraction of the SCCA bang and crash crowd to avoid VDCA events.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]