Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 VRG and Mid Ohio 

Has VRG or the board ever considered doing Mid Ohio as an event? Ever since SVRA introduced Indy a week before their scheduled Mid Ohio event, it has really impacted the Mid-O weekend. I'd love to see VRG attempt an event there. Is there any interest or thoughts from fellow racers?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:10 pm
Site Moderator

I'd be interested.

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Chris,

VRG actually did run at Mid-Ohio, twice as I recall, in the early years of the club (roughly 2005 - 2006). It was a VSCDA event, they needed more cars, and we partnered with them to try to support the event. I think the date was in October (this was before VRG got our Oct date at Watkins Glen).

Attendance from VRG members was light, about 15 - 20 cars as I recall. VSCDA also had trouble getting cars, I don't think they ever got more than about 100 entries (including our cars). So after about 3 years, VSCDA dropped the event. Mid-Ohio is a VERY costly track and VSCDA lost on the event money every year. It would probably take a bare minimum of 150 entries to break even. Maybe we'd get more entries these days, because VRG has grown over the years ... but it's hard to envision more than 50 - 60 VRG entrants at Mid-Ohio, even on a desirable date.

And of course the other issue now, is calendar. We currently have 8 events on our calendar. There basically isn't any room for an additional event. The majority of our members also run some other events like PittRace, Schenley, Labor Day, SVRA Glen, Gold Cup, Mosport, etc so their calendars are really full. Plus, with SVRA running at M-O in June, a second vintage event at that venue would probably need to be in the fall -- I thought VSCDA had the right idea there -- but fall is the busiest time on the vintage calendar.

My personal opinion is that to succeed with a Mid-Ohio event, VRG would have to drop some other event to make room on the schedule -- and would need to partner with VSCDA if they are willing (a big if). The problem with Mid-Ohio seems to be location: close to Pittsburgh, but far from the major cities in the east, and far from Chicago (VSCDA's home base) ... geographically it's a tweener. There aren't enough vintage racers in Ohio and Michigan to support an event without an influx of long-distance entrants.

At some tracks, we're able to structure the deal to minimize our financial risk (primarily newer tracks, which are eager to establish themselves). I seriously doubt that Mid-Ohio would offer us a deal like that (is Michelle still in charge?). I think they have enough demand from organizations like PCA, BMWCCA, NASA, SCCA etc to fill their calendar with full-price rentals. They may not even have any dates available.

I don't mean to sound negative, actually I think it is great when VRG members come forward with suggestions and ideas for events -- and maybe Mid-Ohio could work, somehow. But just thought I should mention our previous experience for those who may not have been VRG members at the time.

Mark

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:19 pm

That's very interesting, Mark! I'd like to have another chance to get to Mid Ohio during the season; aside from the Indy conflict which now exists, there seems to be some sort of weather curse on the SVRA date. This year (the first year in a while we didn't attend) was the first year I can remember without rain. It appears to be a very fun circuit but I wasn't aware of the cost issue associated with it.

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:53 pm

I would certainly be interested!

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]